JDU’s Harivansh Narayan Singh was chosen as the new Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha on August 9, 2018. The NDA candidate was hollowed against BK Hari Prasad, the joint competitor of the Congress-led Opposition in the voice vote. Singh won the vote with 125 votes in support and 105 against.
The post of the agent administrator was lying empty since June 2018 after the retirement of PJ Kurien, a Congress MP from Kerala.
- The NDA applicant, Harivansh Narayan Singh got favour from Shiv Sena, Akali Dal, AIADMK, TRS, YSRCP, INLD, BJD three designated hopefuls and SP MP, Amar Singh.
- While the resistance applicant – three-time MP BK Hari Prasad-got support from parties including Congress, TMC, DMK, Left gatherings, SP, BSP, NCP, TDP.
• Both the applicant had recorded their notices of motion for the post on the most recent day, on August 8.
• Before the vote started, Biju Janata Dal (BJD) boss Naveen proclaimed that his gathering’s nine MPs would vote for the NDA applicant.
• Among others, two individuals from PDP, three individuals from APP, two MPs of YSR Congress refused to vote.
• Besides, DMK’s Kanimozhi who recently lost her father DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi and one Congress leader couldn’t make it for the vote.The Numbers Game: How Opposition lost its brilliant shot!
• The present quality of the Rajya Sabha is 244 and support of 123 individuals is required for a win in the full House.
• Though the BJP is the biggest party in the House with 73 individuals, it didn’t have the number to win lion’s share in the House.
• Among BJP’s partners, the JDU has six MPs in the Rajya Sabha and the Shiv Sena and Akali Dal have three each.
• Along with other littler organization together accomplices and strong Independents and designated individuals, the BJP’s joined quality were guaranteed to be 95 MPs.
• The Congress, which is the greatest resistance party with 50 MPs, guaranteed to have the consolidated quality of 111 in the Rajya Sabha.
• Among the restriction parties, the TMC and the SP have 13 MPs each in the Rajya Sabha, the TDP has six individuals and the RJD and the CPI-M have five MPs each.
• Besides, the BSP, the NCP and the DMK have 4 each while the AAP has three and the CPI and the PDP have two each.
• However, in a hit to Congress, YSRCP, PDP and AAP chose to go without voting in favor of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman decisions.
About Harivansh Narayan Singh ..